itineraire mis-a-jour le 25/12/2011, 26 100 km parcourus

samedi 14 août 2010

14/08/10 Wawanesa - Souris

The plan this morning is to go to the hospital in Wawanesa and to see what my rashes are.The door of the hospital is open but inside, there is nobody. I keep walking in the alleys, trying to find somebody but the whole place is empty. Weird. Next to the hospital there is a care home and I walk in to try to get some information. I learn that the hospital is definitely closed. A nurse looks at my face and tells me it is probably poison oak or poison ivy. I need to see a doctor and the closest open hospital on our way is in Souris, 50 km West of Wawanesa. Before getting back on our bikes, we decide to buy some food at the grocery store. There, things are so expensive that we buy only 4 Campbell soup cans and decide to eat at the restaurant on the other side of the street where I order the best and bigger hamburger I ever had in my life...yes I know that does not look like a breakfast.

Outside, it looks like winter. Amelie does see some snowflakes. It is freezing and super windy. Later, we  will  learn that that day, winds were blowing at 65 km/h right against us. Riding is exhausting, especially for the upper body since we have to counter the winds. We go between 7 and 10 km/h, alternating the leader position every 2 km and taking a break every 5 km. (see the video).Two or three times, the winds pushed me in the ditch. It takes so much time and energy to face that wind that we rapidly run out of food. I see a corn field on the side of the road and pick six cubs and we eat them raw on the side of the road. We are at rock bottom.













Finally, we arrive in Souris exhausted and hungry. We ask a family which is having a walk where we can find the hospital, the motel and a grocery store. They explain to us how to get to the hospital and to the motel but tell us that the grocery store is closed until twelve tomorrow. They invite us to have a diner at their place and we accept.Those people were very nice. I feel so bad that I was to tired  and didn't think of taking a picture or writing their names somewhere. Anyway, thank you to that family in Souris. It was nice walking on that bridge and talking with you. Thank you for your help. That night we slept very well. Distance: 50 km

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire